Things To See & Do

Fayette County Museum and Gallery Day Trip-Fayette County is rich in history and art.  We invite you to plan a stay in Fayetteville and visit Fayette County's Museums and Galleries.  See Day Trip Here.
Fayetteville Area Heritage Museum
119 N. Washington
Memorabilia, artifacts and bits of local Fayetteville and area history, on the Square.
Call for Hours Phone: 979-378-4021

Courthouse on the Square

Built in 1880 - the old jail still exists on the second floor complete with leg irons! - the first court was held on February 17, 1881. A calaboose was added in 1887 and the bandstand gazebo built in 1932. The town clock was erected in 1934 for the Texas Centennial and still strikes the hour and the half-hour, making Fayetteville the smallest town with a four-face Seth Thomas stricking town clock. On the Square's southeast corner, the Picnic Oak tree is over 100 years old.

Water Tower

Visible southeast of the Square, the water tower - called the "Tin Man's head" and located behind the post office on S. Scott and E. Main (Hwy 159) - dates from the 1920s and is one of the best examples of its kind. It was repaired and repainted in 2006, earning Fayetteville the "Class A" rating from the Water Tower Appreciation Society.

ARTS-Arts for Rural Texas
114 N. Live Oak

The ARTS-Arts for Rural Texas, a non-profit organization on the Square, exhibits artwork of local artists and student artists, and holds monthly concerts on Fridays or Saturdays.
www.artguildtexas.org

Hours:
Exhibition hall open Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 3pm.
Phone: 979/378-2113

St. John's Catholic Church
On Bell Street in Fayetteville near FM 1291

Historic, 19th-century paintings by Moravian painter Johann Ignaz Berger now decorate the altar (after decades forgotten in storage).

Hours:
Open daily during the day.
Phone: 979/378-2277

Fayetteville City Cemetery and Catholic Cemetery

These two adjoining cemeteries containing graves for many prominent pioneers. In addition, there are veterans from the war of 1812: Dr. William P. Smith (surgeon general of the Texas army as well as Methodist preacher, Board Member of Rutersville College and editor of the Texas Monument Newspaper), David Wade (an early settler to Fayetteville) and Umbleton Gregory; the three fought in the historic battle of New Orleans. The first Catholic priest of Fayetteville, Father Josef Chromcik, is also buried there. An unmarked grave holding Civil War soldiers is situated next to the City Cemetery. Just off S. Scott St. (FM 1291), four blocks south of the Square, across the railroad tracks. www.rootsweb.com/~txfayett/cemeteries_f-g.html

Fayetteville Music Festival

Two weekends in mid-May of chamber music in historic places in downtown Fayetteville. Admission Fee.

www.fayettevillemusic.org
Phone: 979/249-5035

Fayette Lake (Fayette Power Plant Lake)
West Hwy 159

Located four miles west of Fayetteville on Hwy 159, Fayette Lake boasts fabulous bass fishing. The Lake is accessed by two parks:  Park Prairie and Oak Thicket Park both at the lake's north end.

  • Park Prairie: paved parking, restrooms, boat ramp, camping sites, fishing pier, boat docks, swimming area and picnic sites. Fee. Reservations: 979/249-3344.

  • Oak Thicket Park: paved camping sites with RV hookups and water, restrooms, boat ramp, fishing pier, nature trails and a pavilion. Fees. Reservations: 979/249-3504.

The Jersey Barn
On Hwy 159 between Fayetteville and La Grange.

A 100-year old, three-generation farm. Bring the kids! Pet the animals, learn about farming, relax on the porch.

Open daily. Admission Fee.

www.texasjersey.com/barn
Phone:800/382-2880 or 979/249-3017

Historic Bridges

Old steel truss bridges are found on Willow Springs Road (1/2 mile off FM 159, east of Fayetteville), and off Haw Creek Road, 3 miles east from FM 1291.

Monument Hill and Kreische Brewery State Historic Sites
414 State Loop 92
La Grange, TX 78945

Picnic, nature walks and historical tours on Texas history. Monument Hill is a crypt and memorial to men killed in the fight for Texas independence. Kreische Brewery began in 19th century. Both are now governed by Texas Parks and Wildlife and can be booked for weddings and special events.
www.tpwd.state.tx.us
Hours: Open Daily (except Christmas Day), 8am to 5pm. Check website for brewery tours.
Phone: 979/968-5658

The Falls Golf Resort and Club
1750 North Falls Drive
New Ulm, TX 78950

Called "The Best Drive of Your Life" and "Best Hidden Gem," the Falls is a top-rated course in nearby New Ulm. Admission Fee.

www.thefallsresort.com
Phone: 979/992-3123 or 281/220-2609

Festival Hill
Hwy 237 at Jaster Road in Round Top

The International Festival-Institute at Round Top offers a six-week early summer season of orchestra concerts as well as concerts, art exhibits, garden tours and poetry forums during the year in historic buildings on 200 acres. Admission Fee.

www.festivalhill.org
Phone: 979/249-3129

Shakespeare at Winedale
On FM 2714 in Winedale

University of Texas students recreate Shakespeare's masterworks during late July and early August in Winedale (near Round Top). Admission Fee.

www.shakespeare-winedale.org
Phone: 512/471-4726